Whether the warmer summer months killed off some of your grass or time has created bare patches here and there, you’ll be happy to know there is an easy and cost-effective way to enhance your lawn and bring back its luster. The lawn improvement step we are talking about is called overseeding, and the fall season is the best time to do it. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some tips from a garden center in Topeka, KS when it comes to overseeding your lawn this fall.
If you are not familiar with overseeding, you might venture to guess that it means to plant too many seeds in the ground in one area. However, avid and professional gardeners and landscapers can tell you that the definition of overseeding is when you plant grass seeds directly into the existing turf or soil. Overseeding is one of the easiest ways to add new grass to lawns to make them fuller and fill in bare spots without tearing up the ground. Here’s how the process works:
- Get ready for prep work: Before you overseed, mow your grass down to between 1 and 1.5 inches in height. Next, rake to loosen the soil and break up rough turf on the surface, which is a simple way to aerate the lawn.
- Buy quality grass seeds: Avoid bargain grass seeds to prevent lawn issues later. Instead, get the best grass seed variety for your lawn, one that matches your lawn’s existing grass. Ask your local garden center in Topeka, KS for suggestions based on where you live. For desired results, you should complete your overseeding before October 15. We suggest using our 100 percent weed-free seed, which includes varieties recommended for Kansas weather.
- Apply seeds properly: To ensure proper application of your new grass seeds, use a hand spreader for small areas of the lawn and a fertilizer spreader for larger areas. Spreading half the seeds in direction then going back over in the opposite direction will give more uniform coverage.
- Don’t forget to fertilize and feed: Consider using Ferti-Lome’s New Lawn Starter for a stronger start for your new seed, or to strengthen an existing lawn. Ferti-Lome Lawn Food Plus Iron should be applied now through October 15 on cool season grass lawns, like fescue. Also, you can opt to rake lightly again to create good contact between soil and seed.
- Know how much to water: The key to speeding up grass seed germination and rooting is to keep the overseeded lawn evenly moist. Make sure to watch areas located directly in the sun, as you will need to water more often. More water is also required during dry weather.
Right now at Jackson’s Greenhouse & Garden Center, Inc., you can take advantage of our autumn sale—overseeding and fertilizer for $119.99! That’s 100 percent weed-free grass seed to cover up to 10,000 square feet for new lawns or overseed a lawn up to 20,000 square feet. Contact our garden center in Topeka, KS for more information!
Categorised in: Garden Center
This post was written by Writer