Although it may not feel like it in some parts of the country, fall will soon be upon us! Leaves are going to begin to change from green to brilliant hues of red, orange, and yellow before we know it. But just because the leaves are changing and the air is a bit cooler, that doesn’t mean you can stop taking care of your lawn! As long as there isn’t snow on the ground, you should be thinking about lawn care in Topeka, KS. This fall, follow these easy steps to ensure your lawn is as healthy as ever next spring:
- Keep mowing: The first mistake homeowners often make regarding fall lawn care is ceasing to cut the grass once the temperature drops and the leaves start to fall. It’s crucial that you continue to mow and water your lawn as needed until winter is nearly here. Keeping your lawn shorter will allow more sunlight to get to the bottom of the grass, decreasing the amount of brown you see in the winter. Be sure to put the blade on the lowest setting for the final two cuts of the year; this will ensure healthy grass through the winter.
- Rake the leaves: Everyone’s least favorite fall-related task is also one of the most important. Raking up your leaves as quickly as possible is crucial to keeping your grass healthy. Too many leaves on the ground can literally suffocate your lawn and can leave it looking unhealthy come next spring. Make the task easier this year by stopping in and purchasing a leaf blower. You’ll be amazed at how much more time you can spend doing things you love when you have a leaf blower to make raking and bagging your leaves go more quickly.
- Fertilize now: Believe it or not, the best time of year to fertilize your lawn isn’t the spring or summer—it’s in the fall! Fertilizing now will help ensure those nutrients are delivered to the roots, where the grass really starts to grow. You’ll be amazed at how much greener and fuller your grass comes in next year if you fertilize today.
- Aerate: Ensure your grass’ roots get enough oxygen, water and fertilizer to last through the end of the year by aerating your lawn now. You can rent gas-powered aerators for less than $100, and you’ll have the job done in less than a day.
- Control weeds now: Just like with fertilizing, you don’t have to wait until spring to get your weeds under control. Spraying dandelions and other weeds with herbicide now will help deter them from popping up once the snow melts next year. The best time to spray herbicides is coming up within the next month, so be sure to get out there and spray away to ensure a great looking lawn in 2018.
If you’ve followed these steps and your lawn still isn’t where you’d like it to be next year, give Jackson’s Greenhouse & Garden Center, Inc. a call. Our knowledgeable staff members have years of experience with lawn care in Topeka, KS and are more than happy to help you find the best products and methods for your lawn and garden.
Categorised in: Lawn Care Tips
This post was written by admin